The Sufferfest: Downloadable cycling workout videos.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

11/18 - 11/24 - Training Log and Update: Ironman for a cause

11/18 - 11/24 - Training Log and Update: Ironman for a cause


Going from one week not thinking I will be doing my next Ironman until 2015, then now needing to prep for one in eight months had me scrambling a little bit. However, I thought that since I've done one in September, that base is still there. Nonetheless, I took it relatively "easy" getting back into the swing of things this week. Eight  months is a long ways a way to start right out at 10 - 15 hours a week. With that in mind, I'm still working on my training plan and hope to have it finalized by next week.

In terms of the MMRF organization, we have been in constant communication about the wants/needs on both ends. As I continued to research the organization, they've done phenomenal work. The manager, Richard Zeichik, of the endurance program provided me with this information:

The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) is one of the most respected cancer research organizations in the world. Normally, it can take ten years to get FDA approval of just one new drug, but the MMRF has helped get six new drugs approved by the FDA -- including two in just the past 18 months – a track record that’s unprecedented in the world of oncology. We also have six more treatments in Phase III Clinical Trials. And we want you to know that the MMRF directs 90% of its budget directly to research and related programs. So the money you raise will be used well.

I also spoke to them about "representing" an individual with Multiple Myeloma to race for. Hopefully I'll hear back later this week about that individual! Not only will I be racing this Ironman for my Aunt, Grandma, Father, but another individual who has the cancer I am representing. It will definately be a special day.

Training wise, I felt it was a great first week. I don't have access to a pool currently, however I have plenty of access to my indoor trainer and running. My main focus until the new year is base and tempo (70-80% effort) work and gradually increasing the hours of training.

My new "chair" at home! Guest bedroom? Suffer Room!
I finally found a new bike path that will take me a great distance. Considering I hate running on sidewalks, this is a big relief for me. Then I just found out that there is 3,000 miles of path connecting Maine and Florida! Talk about the want to explore these paths. Pictures to come soon.

Highlight workout of the week: 10 mile run at 6:40s pace. I focused on cycling this week since I was training for a marathon. My main goal was to go an easy 70 minutes and just "ran" with it. Hopefully I can bring that pace to some of my brick workouts!

My weekly swim, bike, and run totals:

Total: 76 Miles / 5 hours 20 minutes
Swim: 0 yards / 0 miles / 0 hours 00 minutes
Bike: 63 miles (Indoor trainer miles) / 3 hours 30minutes
Run: 13 miles / 1 hours 21 minutes
Core: 0 hours 20 minutes

Next weeks goals: 6 hours of biking, 2 hours of running, 1 hour of core work.

No comments:

Post a Comment