The Sufferfest: Downloadable cycling workout videos.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12/23 - 12/30 Training Log and Update: Ironman for a cause

This week featured Christmas, a race and reflection from the past year. It's that time of year where we reflect the good, bad, and ugly of 2013 and what we can look forward to in 2014.

I'll break this up into different sections so you, the reader, can quickly scroll to different sections if wanted.

Christmas

I have heard that if you thought Christmas was fun as a kid, wait until you are a new parent. Boy, is that right! The excitement on the face, ripping apart the wrapping paper, and the "oooo"s and "ahh"s was extremely fun and exciting. 

My wife and I started our own little tradition of having chili for our Christmas dinner! Don't get me wrong, the turkey, ham, potatoes, and extravaganza is awesome, but it's nice to know that my wife and I have our own little family tradition.

Santa even checked in and left his magical trail!



Race Report

This race was something that I wasn't really sure I was going to even do a few days before it. It's a race every year around here the day after Christmas, and it's free, Can't pass up free!

So it's the Nooseneck 18k (11.2 miles) and I wasn't really sure what to expect. Here is the entrance of race day registration:
Never know what is going to turn up at a free race.
I had a nice lengthy off season and at a point where I'm about to start getting into my seasonal training. The course was rolling hills with some 1/2 mile monsters (300ft elevation) and some off road/trail parts mixed in there. Temperature wise, it was perfect at the start.

Of course, I went out too hard from the excitement of racing. It was in the mid 40s, downhill start, and an opportunity to run with some people. The first mile was way too fast. I went out with the leaders at 5:45 and shouldn't have been there with out any speed or consistent long runs. Boy did miles 6-11 really hurt.

Mile 2: 6:24
Mile 3: 6:35
Mile 4: 6:07
Mile 5: 6:24

Miles 2-5 were great. Mile 4 was downhill and I just coasted. Purely enjoying the paved roads with huge pine trees all around.

Mile 6: 7:57
Mile 7: 6:57
Mile 8: 6:45
Mile 9: 7:31
Mile 10: 7:17
Mile 11: 7:43
Finished Time: 1:16:50

Ohh brutal. Miles 6-11 were not fun. The 6th mile featured uphills, uneven trails and a wall. At mile 7 it began to rain. At mile 9 it was a blizzard, which made the run a little bit more enjoyable. Other than that, I have a good deal amount of work ahead of me. But of course, if I were hitting these splits in an Ironman, this report would be the exact opposite.

Three take-a-away's from the race:
1. Pace better
2. Start conservatively
3. Don't always go out with the leaders

2013 Reflection

The one thing I learned in 2013 is taking a step forward is scary

Last January I was coaching college kids, then the next week I was learning a computer software to teach nurses, physicians, and support staff. A few months later I was building the software. In the last month, my family and I took a huge step and moved to the East Coast.

Life is all about taking a chance to do what you feel is right for your family, and it is scary. You'll count more and more on your wife/husband/partner. Take a risk for the reward, and so far it has worked out for the family.

Total: 91 Miles / 6 hours 30 minutes
Swim: 0 yards / 0 miles / 0 hours 00 minutes
Bike: 63 miles (Indoor trainer miles) / 3 hours 15 minutes
Run: 28 miles / 3 hours 15 minutes
Core: 0 hours 30 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment