The Sufferfest: Downloadable cycling workout videos.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What's been going on (Part 1 of 3)

Big Update (Part 1 of 3)


Wowzers - 4 months since my last post. I'll catch everyone up about a month at a time - so expect to see some posts coming! So what the heck happened?!

June - Ironman Lake Placid

I was at the most intense phase of training for both work and triathlon. I found myself traveling back and forth from home to Wisconsin, what felt like weekly. Much of my training switched from swimming, biking and running to just running.

Luckily where I was staying in Wisconsin was only about 90 minutes from where I essentially grew up - time to get in some Tuesday Night Time Trials with the old crew! Would only be able to sneak two out of my four trips, but was great to see the guys!

On one of the last days of my lengthy trips back to Wisconsin, I decided to go on one last long run - a 20 miler.

All is going well until the turn around near Lake Monona. As I turn at mile 10, I get too close to an Orioles nest...yes a bird...and it goes in full attack mode. I continue running as usually they go away, but not this one. It dives and swoops down towards my head and as it does, I twist my body but the rest of my body doesn't. I studder step at the same time and put too much pressure on my knee - boom a pretty bad sprained knee 10 miles away from the hotel. I hobble back - took 2 hours and then ice. What does this mean for Ironman?!

When this happened, I took off 2 weeks completely. No biking, running, swimming. Nothing. On day 15, I attempted to run. No go. I could barely make it 10 minutes. At this point it is July 4th weekend and decide to take another complete week off. I attempt to run again - can still only make it 10 minutes. I had to postpone Ironman Lake Placid this year. Luckily MMRF allows their athletes to postpone their races when it comes to injuries so I am able to participate in 2015!

Once I made the call to postpone I took another 4 weeks off. This was terrible to experience. Luckily Ironman Lake Placid's weather this year was terrible. Down pouring race, lightning and cold was the experience those athletes were dealt with this year. Maybe just a sign it wasn't my year to do it?

Finally after 7-8 weeks of doing no exercising - I attempted to run. Experienced slight pain, but nothing like before! The next day I biked - no pain at all. On the third day I swam - no pain what so ever! Time to go back to the drawing board for training. Ironman Lake Placid is only a year away!

Life outside of Triathlon

Between all of the travel for work and the injury, my wife and I bought a home! We have come to realize we are not renters. Not sure, but our life happiness skyrocketed once we moved out of the apartment and into our new home. And just like Oak Knolls back in Rockford, this was the first house we looked at with our realtor!



Noah begins pre-school - what the heck?! Wasn't he just born? Nonetheless, is loving school and growing up too quickly. Before I know it he will be off to college!



That concludes part 1 of a mega update. Trying to keep it short!

Want to keep up with my daily workouts? Follow me on Strava - Chad Zeman KoS (czeman04@gmail.com).

Until next time, be safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment